Hi everyone, today's list is my favourite characters from 2012 releases. This includes heroes, heroines, villains, contemporary, whatever. My criteria for this list is basically who I found most interesting this year psychologically...
10. Sunya from My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece (Annabel Pitcher) - I have a thing about evil genius kids, and Sunya is one of the best. She's a true star, an awesome kid who sees the best in protagonist Jamie, and makes the best of a terrible bullying situation.
9. Hannah from Bunheads (Sophie Flack) - I basically love Hannah because I love Bunheads - she lets us into her corps de ballet world and she dealt with things in such a realistic, honest, 19-year old manner. She deserves to be on here for bravery alone.
8. Justin from Time Between Us (Tamara Ireland Stone) - even though we didn't get to see that much of him, I thought his character's pining for Anna and dating Emma situation seemed so real. I loved how Tamara Ireland Stone left his story unresolved and left Anna unsure of whether Emma and Justin would make it based on Anna's own actions.
7. Molly from Shot Through the Heart (Niki Burnham) - I haven't reviewed it yet, but Shot Through the Heart was the cutest love story I read this year. Molly is one of the secondary characters, and remember what I said about evil geniuses? Believe me when I say that Molly is one of them. She is SO COOL.
6. Ro from For Darkness Shows the Stars (Diana Peterfreund) - I loved Ro. Oh, how I loved Ro. She proves that intelligence is not just book smarts, and she understands and cares for both Kai and Elliot in a way that no one else can. Great addition to a great Persuasion adaptation.
5. Clem from Unbreak My Heart (Melissa Walker) - She broke my heart with her authenticity - it sucks to lose your friends, and it's hard to forgive yourself, and Clem's journey to acceptance of her fault in her own mess was so beautiful and perfect.
4. Peter from Insurgent (Veronica Roth) - okay, I'm sure a lot of you will complain about this, but I thought Peter was one of the best characters in Divergent and Insurgent - I'm not saying he's a good guy, but his moral code is weirdly understandable. The more I find out about him, the more fascinated I am. What a nut job.
3. America from The Selection (Kiera Cass) - her sass, smarts and kindness make her one of my favourite characters this year. I love her musical ability, her lack of care for her appearance, and her confusion over Prince Maxon and Aspen. Can't wait for The Elite.
2. Hazel from The Fault in Our Stars (John Green) - am I allowed to put in a character from a book I haven't even finished yet? Maybe not, but she deserves it. Hazel is the strongest, bravest, coolest young ladies I've had the privilege of meeting this year, and she's delighting me like crazy so far. More soon on TFIOS.
1. Cammie from Out of Sight, Out of Time (Ally Carter) - Pretty sure that OSOT is the best of the Gallagher Girls series so far. Cammie was really put through the ringer this year, and I really felt for her. Not knowing who to trust - whether to even trust herself - made her the most interesting and dynamic character of the year for me. Add to that her crazy-good spy skills, her awesome flirtations with Zach, and her strength of character...for me, Cammie grew up this year, and I can't wait to see how she defeats the Circle of Cavan in GG6.
Who are your favourite characters this year? Were they also the most interesting characters? Were they heroes or villains? Let me know in the comments!